Executive Chair's update - 4 May 2020
Published: 4 May 2020
Covid-19 and Remote Examinations
MedCo has continued to monitor developments during the current pandemic crisis and listened to feedback from Users. We have also monitored Government and Public Health England advice.
At this time, the ability for medical experts to undertake examinations by remote methods will continue until further notice.
Several Users contacted MedCo to express their concerns about the potential for compensators to challenge medical reports just because examinations were not undertaken face to face. We raised this issue with the Association of British Insurers (ABI). I am pleased to say that the ABI, in conjunction with the Association of Consumer Support Organisations (ACSO), recently issued a joint “statement of intent for progressing claims during the Covid-19 crisis”. This includes reference to remote examinations see:- https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets/files/subject/public/covid-19/acso-abi-covid-19-statement-of-intent.pdf
2020 Charging Policy
Payments/collection of annual fees due on and after 6th April will remain suspended until 6th July 2020. Users should note that on that date all annual registration fees due between 6th April and 6th July will immediately become payable.
The MedCo board has considered the economic impact on MROs and DMEs of Covid-19 crisis and the resulting fall in the number of claims being made. The board’s aim has been, so far as practically possible, to financially assist its current operational users during these troubled times and also ensure Medco’s future sustainability to implement government policy.
I am therefore pleased to inform you that the board has decided to further abate annual registration fees from April 2020 by an additional 25% and to offer facilities to MROs for payment by quarterly instalments (payable in advance). The revised annual registration fees will be as follows: -
MRO Abated Fees
Tier 1 - £90,000
Tier 2 - £9,000
- Those MROs whose fee was due for payment between 06/04/20 – 06/07/20 can pay the fee over the 3 remaining quarters of the renewal year via instalments in advance should they choose to do so.
- Those MROs whose fee is due for payment between 07/07/20 – 05/04/21 can pay the fee by quarterly instalments in advance should they choose to do so.
- Those MROs whose renewal was due on 06/04/20 and who paid the full amount will be refunded the 25% reduction on request
DME Abated fees
- Those DMEs whose fee was due for payment between 06/04/20 – 06/07/20 can pay the fee by 06/07/20.
- Those DMEs whose fee is due for payment between 07/07/20 – 05/04/21 need to pay the fee by the due date specified on the invoice
- Those DMEs whose renewal was due on 06/04/20 and who paid the full amount will be refunded the 25% reduction on request
- There is no facility for DMEs to pay by instalments
Formal notice of these changes, as well as invoices, will be sent out in due course.
Fees due before 6th April 2020
Users who have not paid renewal fees that became due prior to 6th April 2020 will be required to pay the outstanding amount in full on or before 6th July 2020.